Quotes Of The Day:
1. "What a meddling old bitch Mary Worth is." --Steve
2. "I'm Young Sexy Borges and I'm here to say/La muerte me desgasta, incesante." --Swifty
Sometimes I Wonder:
Summer colds are so awful. Go away, go away you stupid head cold.
Guitar Wolf -
I've done a few panoramas in the past,
but hadn't tried doing RFK yet including a panorama of RFK that I shot before the beginning of the MLS All Star game a few years ago. Here's a larger more detailed version of the new RFK panorama.
Yesterday, I went to the Nats game, then went to a barbecue and drank crappy beer out of Solo cups and played wiffle ball. Summer is here!
On Saturday, the McDermotts headed out to RFK to partake in one of our favorite family activities: an Orioles baseball game.
1. The Nationals’ management was touting the series as the Battle of the Beltway, which is totally wrong, since there are two beltways involved in this series (495 and 695). Beltways, people.
2. The crowd was mainly rooting for the Nats, but from their attire, it appeared that there were a pretty good number of Orioles fans in attendance. A lot of families seemed to be split between the Nats and the Orioles, which could lead to some interesting Thanksgiving dinners if the teams are ever good at the same time. Or good at any time again, even apart from each other. It's hard to have a rivalry when the only result is to be able to say that your team is slightly better than another mediocre team.
3. I saw many people wearing Orioles and Nationals paraphernalia at the same time which just ain’t kosher. I understand that we live in trying times where there’s an opportunity to root for two area teams, and that your loyalties may be a little split, but you can’t sit on the fence when they are playing each other. Pick a team!
4. Two guys seated behind me spent a good amount of time singing the praises of Joe Morgan as a commentator. After I recovered from the cerebral hemorrhage this induced, I considered informing them that no man that drops such incredible insights such as “They’re winning because they’re scoring more runs”* can be considered a good commentator. I let it slide since it’s possible they were taking into consideration his myriad intangibles.
*OK, OK, that's a rough paraphrase. I can't be sure of the exact wording, but I'm pretty sure that he has taken the time to inform you, the viewer, that a team has to score more runs than the opposing team in order to win. Poor Jon Miller.
Something crept into my room and strangled me. Seriously, I couldn't even turn my head to the right when I woke up this morning.
Archers of Loaf -
Strangled By The Stereo Wire
A little more Aussie rock for Friday.
Psycho Surgeons -
In On The Killtaker: I just stumbled upon Jeff Simmermon's site yesterday and wanted to point a couple of great posts of his, neither of which are exactly for the faint of stomach. First off, there's the series of photographs showing a constrictor eating a wallaby. Second, his series of posts about working as a professional kangaroo hunter in Australia are fantastic, check out all 5 installments: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
I'm A Savage For You:
Since I'm thinking about Australia, here's a classic cut of Aussie punk.
The Fun Things -
I've got Baltimore on the brain after spending last night in Federal Hill. Here's a little Mobtown music.
Candy Machine -
Earlier today, my brother and I booked our flight to Wyoming. For a week this July, I'll be off in the Bighorn Mountains doing some or all of the following: hiking, horseback riding, fishing, eating a steak at the Winchester and swinging in a hammock while reading Cloud Atlas and Declare.
The Rise and Fall of Our Hero's Reward off of Handsome Western States
Things that cheer me up after an incredibly dull day at work:
1. "I have traded Pokemon with the child of Built to Spill." --DJ
2. "My friends Basil and Gillian are getting married in July, and are considering having 'Mistadobalina' played for their first dance." --Skot
3. Skipping class on a warm, sunny day.
4. That friends of mine have a group called MC Copulation and The Rhythm Method. I can't believe I just linked to a MySpace page.
With your dreams there as well:
This weekend, I got to try out one of the cooler features on the D70: white balance adjustment. The days of having to worry about buying film with the appropriate color temperature are over*! All the colors came out balanced correctly (and actually pretty vivid for low light conditions) when I was shooting under the flourescent light of the rockclimbing gym, except for when I used the flash and forgot to set the white balance back to auto from flourescent which resulted in some predictably weird colors.
For no real reason (other than that I am listening to them right now) here is some good old Yinzer math rock.
One Man, Buck