Fact: At the Nats game on Sunday, the Mets started Julio Franco at first base. Franco is approximately a million years old and made his major league debut in 1982 when I was 7.
Kind of hilarious: Steve Albini teetering around on painter's stilts while discussing sound equipment.
Mockingbird bleh: Around 3 in the morning, I was awakened from a solid slumber by birds singing outside my apartment. After falling asleep again, much later in the night, I actually had dreams about killing said birds with a shotgun full of birdshot, and subsequently getting arrested for discharging a firearm on the side of Route 7.
I gave away my ticket to last night's show since one evening of The Plan reunion was plenty for me. Even passed on the Wrens show to hang out with friends in the Red Room. Oh well, sorry Wrens. But hey, baseball today on a perfect day!
No one will be standing still this weekend! Despite all of the talk and excitement about the reunion concert this weekend, I've spent most of the day with the riff from Only Shallow repeating in my head.
Guess who got himself some tickets to see The Jesus and Mary Chain in New York? Yup! I figure I'll end up being in town for about 3 days or so. I'll be in touch with all you New Yorkers to see who will be around, since I have not been up there since 2003 (?!). No clue exactly when I will get to town, where I will be crashing or what else I will be doing yet.
Weekend summary: 2 birthdays, 2 barbecues, 1 vineyard tour and 1 video of an old friend getting tasered at work that we watched again and again and again.
1. Fugazi playing Target at Fort Reno in 1997. If there was more light, the angle wasn't so low and the person taping this had panned to the left, you would be able to see me standing on the stage, which is where I took this photo.
2. NOU playing Cool Senior High School back in 1991.
3. Rites of Spring playing Theme at the old 9:30 Club in 1985. Check out the hair on Guy!
Everyone needs to read this profile of Manny Ramirez from the current issue of The New Yorker.
Can't afford no gun at all/Neat neat neat!
While we are waiting for spring to finally arrive for good, here is the spring mix I had put together for myself a few weeks ago:
1. Helium - Pat's Trick
2. Heavenly - P.U.N.K. Girl
3. The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner
4. Enon - Knock That Door
5. My Bloody Valentine - Slow
6. Mission of Burma - The Enthusiast
7. The Dishes - Dirty Highway
8. Superchunk - Night Creatures
9. The Undertones - True Confessions
10. Chisel - Guns Of Meridian Hill
11. Guitar Wolf - Jet Generation
12. Thee Headcoatees - I'm Gonna Make You Mine
13. The Fire Engines - Candyskin
14. Sugar - A Good Idea
15. Dressy Bessy - Side 2
16. Buzzcocks - Fast Cars
17. Prisonshake - Carthage Burns!
18. Sloan - Take Good Care of the Poor Boy
If you are a friend or acquaintance, let me know if you would like a copy.